Six Drum Tablet Friability Test Instrument
Six Drum Tablet Friability Test Instrument
PTF 600 is a six drum tablet friability and abrasion test instrument. It is manufactured in compliance to the USP <1216>, EP <2.9.7> and JP <14> Pharmacopoeias. The instrument features an automated sample discharge at the end of a test and the possibility to connect an analytical balance.
PTF 600 six drum tablet friability test instrument
One of the testing criteria for mechanical strength of tablets and cores according to the USP <1216>, EP <2.9.7>, JP <14> and other pharmacopoeia is friability and abrasion testing. During the process of coating, transportation and packing the tablet will lose some amount of weight. To measure this weight loss, the samples are counted and weighed. Then the friability test is performed following the individual monographs of the relevant Pharmacopoeia. The tablets are tumbled at each turn of the drum of the friability testing instrument by a curved baffle that extends from the middle of the drum to the outer wall.
Removable waste container for automated discharge of the samples
Clean the samples from any dust prior to the test. Weigh the samples and introduce them into any drum of the instrument. The drums can easily be opened for loading and cleaning. Alternatively it is possible to use the discharge opening to load the samples without opening the drum. Select a test method and start the run. The LCD with color-changing backlight shows the test status and results.
Once the test is finished the drum revolution stops and the samples are discharged into separate stainless steel collectors with a perforated base plate. The collectors are mounted onto a stainless steel collection pan. The drum support axis can be removed. The samples then have to be inspected for broken tablets, de-dusted and weighed again. The weight difference before and after the test is determined as friability; this usually should not exceed 1%.
Optional Abrasion Drums
The standard supply scope includes the friability (also known as “Roche”) drums, but abrasion drums are available as options. The standard friability drum causes the samples to roll and fall during the test while the abrasion drum continuously puts the sample under stress by contact with lamellas.
Different Speed Settings
A silent DC geared motor rotates the drums at a fixed speed of 25 rpm or at a selectable speed (setting can be locked). The actual drum is made from Plexiglas (Perspex) and is separated into two parts, the drum body and a removable cover, which opens to fill and clean the drum from the inside when required. The instrument itself is made from high quality stainless steel which fully meets the current GLP requirements. A friability drum with an additional anti-static coating is available as an option.
User Interface with Click Wheel Navigation
PTF 600 is operated by using a click wheel to navigate menus on the LCD screen and by functional keys to shortcut frequent operations. The display is backlit in changing colors that show the instrument status in a familiar traffic light system (green, yellow, red).
Navigating the menu is quick and simple. The color-changing display makes it easy for the user to see when his input is required to proceed. The instrument has a method and a user management system. Methods can be programmed, edited and stored directly on the instrument. Users can be created and assigned different user levels according to their roles (administrator, operator, calibration technician).
Access to the instrument is protected by a login with username and password. Optionally a quick test menu can be accessed without logging in to the instrument first. This way tests can be performed with the instrument in case user access control and testing according to defined methods is not required.
Integrated Report Printer
PTF 600 features an integrated report printer to document the test and calibration results. An integrated printer saves valuable bench space in your laboratory. The detailed result report includes the automatic weight loss calculation.
A USB flash drive can be connected to the instrument to save and load methods in .csv-format. Print-outs can be stored as text files. Furthermore instrument firmware updates can be installed and factory settings be restored by using the flash drive without the need for any PC or programming tool.
- Fully USP <1216>, EP <2.9.7> and JP <14> compliant
- Determine friability and abrasion (optional) of uncoated tablets
- Programmable for number of drum revolutions or rotating time
- Connect a balance to determine the sample weight (optional, weight can be entered manually)
- Connect USB flash drive to copy methods and store test reports
- Integrated protocol printer
- User and method management system
- Drum is easy to open for loading and cleaning, alternatively use discharge opening for loading
- Graphical LCD screen showing actual and target settings
- Integrated protocol printer reduces bench space requirements
- Detailed result report including weight loss calculation and evaluation of the results
- Automated sample discharge at the end of a test run
- Dual operation mode: number of revolutions or rotation time
- Variable drum rotation speed or locked speed mode
- Determine the sample weight by balance to automatically calculate weight loss
- Programmable qualification interval timer reminds the user to perform instrument calibration
- Dedicated calibration programs and reports
- Copy methods between instruments by using a common USB flash drive
- Export test reports as text files
- IQ/OQ documents included free of charge
|Number of Test Drums||6, right side|
|Drum Rotation Speed Range||15 – 100rpm|
|Speed Accuracy||±1 rpm|
|Number of Rotations||Adjustable 2 – 9999, switchable to time mode|
|Testing Time||Adjustable 2 – 9999 seconds, switchable to rotations mode|
|Method Management||Up to 256 test descriptions (methods) can be stored on the instrument|
|User Management||Up to 32 users with selectable user right levels can be stored on the instrument|
|Result Data Storage||Store copies of result reports by connecting a USB flash drive|
|Display||LCD with color-changing backlight|
|Keyboard||Keypad with function keys and click wheel|
|Instrument Housing||Polished stainless steel housing with plastic frame|
|Power||110/230 Volt, 50/60 Hz|
|Instrument Dimensions||Approx. 50cm x 75cm x 47cm (width x depth x height)|
|Packaging Dimensions||Approx. 90cm x 90cm x 70cm (width x depth x height)|
|Net /Gross Weight||Approx. 30 / 40 kg|
|Certification||All components certified to USP / EP requirements|
|CE / EMC Certification||All CE / EMC Certification provided|
|Validation||All IQ & OQ documents included|
We reserve the right to make technical changes without any prior notice.
Included in the Standard Scope of Supply
- Six friability drums made from Plexiglas (optional incl. anti-static coating), in compliance with the USP, EP and DAB pharmacopoeia
- Five rolls of printer paper for the integrated printer
- Comprehensive documentation included (PDF, hardcopies optional):
- User manual
- DQ/QC instrument compliance test certificate
- IQ documentation
- OQ documentation
- Instrument logbook
- Friability drum with anti-static coating (part no. 223-1180)
- Tablet abrasion drum with lamellas (part no. 200-0204)
- 10° stand to test large samples (part no. 224-0560)
- Certified calibration tools